Search IT & Business Jobs
Search by job category, location, or keywords. Register to apply for a position. You can also save a search to be notified by email of new jobs as they are posted.
Sr. Oracle DBA
The Sr. Oracle Database Administrator will be responsible for providing technical leadership and support to ensure peak performance and maximum availability of the database systems. This position will also provide guidance and expertise for database tuning, maintenance and monitoring standards. This position will proactively balance customer needs with efficient database management to ensure appropriate access to data and applications as needed. This position requires experience with Oracle 10i and 11g environments, including Oracle 12g RAC.
• Provide planning, and advanced technical expertise regarding computer and Oracle services. including acting as a liaison to outsourced Oracle providers both internal to Company and 3rd party vendors.
• Provided advanced troubleshooting, configuration and maintenance of complex systems, including assistance to customer technical resources.
• Assess need for any Oracle reconfigurations (minor or significant) and execute them as required in accordance with change control policy.
• Coordinate Oracle related implementation activities across various functional groups to help prioritize and schedule appropriate resources.
• Partners with the business in planning, executing technical tasks such as conversions, interfaces, integration, issue resolution, and installation.
• Provides technical project management assuring that the milestones for the project are being met through mentoring internal and customers’ technical resources on the project.
• Responsible for understanding future Company product strategy/direction as it relates to Oracle and apply towards solutions development and ongoing product lifecycle.
• Evaluates project for process improvements and makes recommendations in continuous quality improvement and leads the implementation of process changes and quality improvement initiatives.
• Provides recommendations on the process improvements related to implementation processes and leads the efforts to create improvements
• Provides mentoring and knowledge transfer to other Oracle engineers, as needed.
• Additional Responsibilities
- Establish and manage RMAN backup and recovery strategies.
- Implement and support of Data Guard.
- Understand the role and evaluate the Cost Based Optimizer and explain plans.
- Work with application teams to improve the overall performance of their databases and best practice advice for use of Oracle Databases.
- Utilize OEM.
- Support Business Intelligence tools and performance tuning.
- Implement and support of Opatch.
- Must successfully diagnose database related problems and take necessary action in a timely manner.
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
• Bachelor' s Degree (BS or BA) or exquv. Experience
• 7-10 years’ experience in Oracle Database Administration, including engineering support, architecture, design, implementation, and operations
• Communication is a key attribute. Candidate must be able to communicate and support multiple teams and able to coordinate/communicate with others.
• Thorough knowledge of database troubleshooting skills related to Oracle.
• Experience supporting Business Intelligence tools and performance tuning.
• Experience with Netbackup, Tivoli, OEM or other 3rd party type schedulers.
• 2+ years of experience with Big Data solutions. (Hadoop, Hive, Hbase, MapReduce, JSON, Hbase) and other related technologies.
• 2+ years experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL or other related databases
• Candidate should understand the concepts around High Availability, utilizing RAC, Data Guard and other technologies.
• Experience on the following OS platforms: AIX, LINUX, UNIX.
• Extensive experience with shell scripting.
• Capacity planning skills.
• Documentation skills.
• Knowledge and understanding of specific technology used with Company' s database environment. Operating systems, clustering and reporting services are a few areas which require specific knowledge and breath of understanding.
• Skilled in writing and tuning database storage objects (packages, triggers, etc.)
• Thorough understanding of backup and recovery processes.
• Thorough understanding of High Availability Techniques used at Company.
• Thorough understanding of Monitoring Techniques used at Company.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirement
• May require some travel.