Search IT & Business Jobs
Search by job category, location, or keywords. Register to apply for a position. You can also save a search to be notified by email of new jobs as they are posted.
Technical Relationship Manager - Mainframe Systems
5301 Maryland Way Nashville, TN 37027
Technical Relationship Manager - Mainframe Systems
Mainframe Relationship Manager General Description
You will support and maintain critical infrastructure that provides routing, workload management, failover, scalability, and continuous availability. Systems internals knowledge will provide expert level understanding of mainframe technologies and infrastructure best practices. (e.g. OS upgrades and patches, database management systems, application integration & communications, storage, etc.) as well as installed third-party systems components. You will work closely with IBM resources to ensure reliability in accordance with user needs and technical specifications while meeting defined service level agreements. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with hardware and operating systems and assigned third-party software running on an IBM Mainframe Establishes and documents standards and procedures (including disaster recovery procedures) for management review. Communicates with and provides reporting and technical support to system users and management.
Duties and responsibilities
- Candidate will be expected to work with IBM support, Helpdesk, applications programming, other tech support teams, and external clients to resolve issues affecting Mainframe system components; review maintenance and new releases of system software; prepare for data center outages; support and perform verification during data center outages. Assist with application and system tuning.
- Supports 24x7 on-call .
- Must be available 24x7x365 if needed for issue resolution.
- Candidate must be self-starter who works well with others, but can function and make decisions with little consultation when necessary.
- Candidate must be able to function well in stressful situations and prioritize work to meet deadlines for changes and projects.
- Candidate must be eager to learn new and often complex processes, methodologies, and technologies.
- Candidate must be comfortable supporting very large computer systems in a parallel sysplex setting.
- Candidate should have at least 8 years’ experience with z/OS, CICS as either a systems programmer, applications programmer, or both.
- Researches assigned, accepted products in depth to build knowledge and become resident expert (or backup) of the product. Recommends configuration settings. Understands the relationship of product roll-out including impact on other teams and proposes roll-out schedules accordingly. Displays a thorough knowledge of systems for assigned areas of expertise. Resolves and leads others in resolving daily and on-call issues. Documents moderate to complex projects. Peer reviews work of others as directed.
- Reviews necessary modifications and changes to environment as directed by a higher level System Administrator to include adjustments to assigned ISV program configurations, as needed. Utilizes management panels to make changes and ensure message/transaction and data migration processes are successful and timely. May support higher level System Administrator in strategy and rule definitions.
- Assists in the development of disaster recovery procedures including execution of procedure during testing and training. Provides higher level system administrators feedback on procedures to improve clarity, readability, and accuracy. Identifies intricacies in procedures that could impact recovery efforts. Works with clients on resolving issues during a live disaster recovery ensuring they have access and configuration changes required to connect to the backup site.
- Assesses capacity and resource performance and makes recommendations on how to adjust work to improve performance. Researches tuning opportunities, such as multi-log reviews and historic run-times to isolate performance issues through data assessments. Identifies possible bottlenecks and provide recommendations to application owner for improvements. Designs, develops and runs sophisticated reports and chart sets for internal review including review with Finance regarding actual consumption of resources to plan.
Experience and knowledge with the disciplines listed below:
- Skilled with z/OS sub system software administration
- Working knowledge of Parallel Sysplex and related components
- Using various IBM z/OS system utilities
- DFSMS Storage Administration.
- Maintaining mainframe software
- Analyzing and solving mainframe system software problems
- JES2, SMP/E and TSO/ISPF,
- JCL, CLIST and assembly language
- VSAM data structures
- VTAM TCP/IP NetView File transfer, Netview Access and NPM
- Omegamon XE for Mainframe
- IBM Connect Enterprise and Connect Direct
- Understanding of mainframe system backup and recovery
- Mainframe hardware and I/O configuration and connectivity
- Change incident and problem management process in a highly available environment
- Trace and dump analysis and problem determination and resolution in a z/OS environment
- Experience and skills in z/VM and Linux is preferable
- Bachelor' s Degree
- Relevant Experience or Degree in: Major in Computer Science preferred, other majors considered. Willing to accept additional experience in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 8 Years Relevant Experience
- Experience in system administration within a highly available enterprise environment or related experience.
- Prefers a minimum 8 Years Relevant Experience
- z/OS administration experience in a highly available enterprise environment is strongly preferred.
- Skills / Knowledge - A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
- Job Complexity - Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
- Supervision - Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instructions on new assignments.
- Operating Systems Knowledge (Mainframe Skills) - z/OS, CICS, z/VM, TSO/ISPF, ISMF, JCL, SMP/E, Catalogs, DFSMS, DFHSM, DFDSS, REXX, Utilities