Search IT & Business Jobs
Search by job category, location, or keywords. Register to apply for a position. You can also save a search to be notified by email of new jobs as they are posted.
UNIX System Administrator (Operations)
5445 Triangle Pkwy Atlanta, GA 30092
UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (OPERATIONS)
UNIX System Administrator Summary:
The UNIX System Administrator is responsible for assisting Senior Engineers and management with daily administration across a range of technologies including UNIX Server Administration, server virtualization, storage and backups, and datacenter upkeep. Provides oversight and tracking of support tickets, ensuring that issues and requests are resolved in a timely manner.
UNIX System Administrator Job Description:
- Serve as a capable " front line" for internal support requests.
- 2+ years total experience in IT, including 1+ years in a production 24/7 high consumer traffic Web environment, including Web hosting, security and information protection, load balancing implementations and high availability networks.
- Experience with UNIX administration to maintain and support all UNIX based server hardware and Operating Systems (Solaris, AIX, RedHat Linux, HP-UX).
- Person should have a technical competency with knowledge of system internals, LVM, file system, network, and server performance utilizing Dtrace/truss/strace and other tools to troubleshoot and understand system performance.
- Knowledge of kick start/jump start/commvault/netbackup and other backup technologies are a plus
- Experience with VMWare virtualization environments
- Knowledge of Oracle, SQL Server and database clustering technologies a plus.
- Work with Operations Department, Database Management, and Product Development teams for technical matters and problem resolution of any client issues
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform other job-related responsibilities as required.
- Knowledge of installation, configuration, and maintenance of UNIX operating systems on physical and virtual environments.
- Monitor the environment for performance and stability issues to meet Service Level Objectives.
- Maintain current system patching levels.
- Consult with infrastructure operations, development personnel, and support teams to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Follow internal procedures for change management, incident management, and escalation. Participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation. Other responsibilities will be assigned as required.
UNIX System Administrator Requirements and Skills
- Must have 2 years’ experience with UNIX operating systems (Solaris, AIX, Linux, HP-UX)
- Ability to write scripts in some administrative language (Perl, shell, vbscript, etc.). Review error and audit logs.
- Familiarity with most basic system administration tools and processes; for example, can boot/shutdown a machine, add and remove user accounts, use backup programs and verify disk integrity, maintain system database files (groups, hosts, aliases).
- Unix Administrators should have a fundamental understanding of a UNIX-based operating system; for example, understands job control, soft and hard links, distinctions between the kernel and the shell.
- Working knowledge of server hardware, file sharing, networks, storage and backups etc.
- Knowledge of SAN-based server environments
- Ability to prioritize a variety of duties and work requests based on business need and SLA' s
- Highly organized with the ability to follow through on requests with moderate supervision
- Ability to document procedures simply and accurately
- Team work - must be capable of working well with others in a team environment and in high pressure situations.
- Works well both alone or in a team setting
- General server Hardware Knowledge
- Supervision of other personnel not required in this position.
UNIX System Administrator Education/Experience/Degree Requirements
- Associates or Bachelor’ s degree preferred, technical education or equivalent experience in the IT Industry with at least 2-5 years’ experience.